7.12.09


'What I thought was very interesting is that before the Gunnister Man exhibition was brought to Shetland, his purse, and specifically the red patterned knitting in it, was quite a symbol of him, especially for Shetland. But now that everyone has seen all of his clothing and belongings, it's clear there is so much more to his being, his history, his last days, his identity and this is what struck me when I first saw all of the clothing in Edinburgh. It was quite interesting to me that none of the artists focused on the red peerie patterns in the purse, and only one  on the purse itself. Instead, there was much about being lost, of trying to find one's way, and of the peat, which is such a potent symbol of so many parts of Shetland. One small thing I noticed was that Andrea Williamson's knitted stocking inside the felt boot had what looked like small Norwegian flags in the pattern -- a pointer toward his identity and origins?  There is so much here that I will be thinking about your work for some time to come!

 Dr Carol A Christianson
'Curator/Community Museums Officer
Shetland Museum & Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment